We were offered an elective section with Ross as our older son was born by section. We were open minded to options, however due to my deteriorating asthma and ongoing worsening anaemia and baby preferring to remain in a transverse position a section became a preferred option.

After a visit to the ante-natal clinic on the Friday afternoon, including swabs for MRSA it was home to enjoy the weekend before admission to the RVI at 07:00 on Monday morning for theatre.

As I was taken down to theatre I felt an odd sense of guilt that my baby was going to be born almost at our convenience rather than awaiting nature to take its course, I was quickly shaken from this thought by the realisation I had was still wearing underwear and had to nip to the loo and quickly tuck my knickers into a pocket!!

I was taken down to theatre where the spinal anaesthesia was administered – this was  the strangest part, as I really wanted my partner to be with me, I had unpleasant memories of the spinal with my previous section. This time was totally different, a very dense block and no side effects. The surgeon (my consultant) appeared said a quick hello, despite attending the hospital ante-natal clinic many times I had still never met him until section day. The actual operation was quick and straightforward, and Ross was born into a quiet environment where the staff made a conscious effort to reduce to noise level during his actual delivery and once his head was delivered the surgeon asked my partner if he wish to stand up and see Ross being lifted out of my abdomen.

As soon as he was delivered Ross was alert and made a few small wimpers but didn’t cry. My partner was able to cut his cord and give him a cuddle as skin to skin was not practical at that point. Alan cuddled him, whilst I was stitched up and transferred to recovery.

In recovery it took a significant length of time for my spinal block to reduce down to a level where I could be transferred to the ward. However my catheter was draining very little urine, despite the amounts of fluid given via my drip, and severe nausea and vomiting started. It took several doses of anti-emetics to stop the vomiting and a review by the consultant as to my very low urine output. There were serious concerns as to potential bladder damage, however the consultant was happy to wait and watch rather than take me back to theatre.

Despite the vomiting, my partner and I enjoyed lots of skin to skin time and cuddles with Ross, and he took his first breast feed.

Once back on the postnatal ward I was up out of bed about 4pm where I took myself in the shower before introducing Ross to his older brother Luke.

Despite the earlier nausea and vomiting I was now starving and looking forward to hospital food!! Following a full night of breast feeds and cuddles, the midwives finally removed my catheter the following morning, and after another shower and lots of check we were discharged home at 2pm.

Both our section experiences at the RVI were very positive, Ross’s birth was a more gentle experience, with lovely caring kind staff. Do I feel guilty at never giving birth normally? Absolutely not – I had great birth experiences and have two wonderful happy healthy boys, and I would do it all again.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.