LOOKING AFTER YOUR PARTNER
- Positive encouragement
- Eye to eye contact and slow steady breathing – concentrate on the out breath
- Speak quietly and gently, but firmly when appropriate
- Remind her to drop her shoulders, perhaps with a gentle touch
- Remind her to keep her jaw loose
- Encourage her to breathe out – to prevent her from holding her breath
- Remind her to empty her bladder about once an hour
- Help her to change position
- Explain what is happening if she needs that information
- Communicate with your midwife and any other staff to gather information
- Remember Benefits Risks Alternatives if an action is suggested and you don’t know why
- She needs you to provide reassurance and security so if you feel overwhelmed and panicky, focus on your breathing and
take a break
- Don’t feel that you have to be doing something all the time – just being there is often enough
LOOKING AFTER YOU
- Keep your own strength up – you need food, drink and rest too
- Look after your own back when supporting your partner, don’t stay in an uncomfortable position for too long
- If you need support and reassurance, ask your midwife for information to help you stay calm – she is there for you too!
antenatal educator, doula, postnatal group leader, baby massage instructor, parent life coach
I have worked with expectant parents since 2002 and I have taught antenatal classes almost weekly since 2005.
I am NCT-trained and, due to my knowledge, training and experience, I am able to provide information, support and reassurance for all expectant parents. My sessions are friendly and informal – not like a classroom – with small groups and 1:1 sessions so you can ask questions and gather all the information you need.In addition to general birth preparation, I specialise in being parent-focused so I can provide support for specific issues such as birth anxiety, giving birth again, being induced, planned caesareans and homebirths.
I am a mum of three and I have also worked as a birth doula, so I have attended a number of births.
If you have any queries, just send me a message…