Birthrights exists to improve women’s experience of childbirth by promoting respect for human rights.
Founded by a group of lawyers, Birthrights is the UK’s only organisation dedicated to improving women’s experience of pregnancy and childbirth by promoting respect for human rights. We believe that all women are entitled to respectful maternity care that protects their fundamental rights to dignity, autonomy, privacy and equality.
Birthrights believes that…
• Every woman has a right to receive safe and appropriate maternity care.
• Every woman has a right to maternity care that respects her fundamental human dignity.
• Every woman has a right to privacy and confidentiality.
• Every woman is free to make choices about her own pregnancy and childbirth, even if her caregivers do not agree with her.
• Every woman has a right to equality and freedom from discrimination.
The Birthrights site will provide you with factsheets on:
The factsheets cover the law in England and Wales, though references to the Human Rights Act will apply throughout the United Kingdom. Birthrights is working with lawyers in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland to update the factsheets to cover law and policy in these regions.