Just in case you don’t know – the perimenopause is a more than a bit shit. It is one of the most isolating experiences of my life, I am just grateful to have a couple of friends who are experiencing similar – this alone is keeping me sane.
The perimenopause is that long, drawn out phase before the menopause. Here’s what it can involve…
- hot flushes – I have to stand outside or next to an open fridge
- night sweats – I can wake up soaked
- heart palpitations – yep
- migraines – constant headache and more migraines
- sore boobs – have been spared this one
- irregular periods – never know when it’s going to appear
- heavy periods – running tap
- fibroids – not as far as I know
- low sex drive – monk like
- urine infections – not yet
- bad skin – not yet
- facial hair – think bearded lady
- mood swings, anxiety, depression – permanent PMT
- insomnia – every night
- fuzzy thinking – constant
In short, it’s a joy. It can be something that us women feel we have no control over and it can make us feel quite insane. There have been conversations about HRT, about anti-depressants but I’m trying to manage it through the right food, vitamins, fresh air and exercise. It’s become very clear that it is also about taking care of me – my work is now more focused so I am working less in order to do what I love but have more down time to rest and relax as well.
Perimenopause affects us all differently but I’ll be sharing more about managing it, living with it and being a parent with it.